The Printed Fox: Review: Better Off Without Him

Friday, February 22, 2013

Review: Better Off Without Him

Better Off Without HimBetter Off Without Him by Dee Ernst

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I can't remember the last time I've said, "I effing love this character!" at the 25% mark of a book. I knew at that point I was going to love this book.

Mona is classic, and even though in the beginning it seems she's getting shafted, her husband leaving is the best thing to happen to her. Naturally.

I think what made this book so great for me were the characters. Patricia was awesome. Every woman needs a friend like her. Mona's assistant Anthony was the one that made me literally laugh out loud at times, and I loved all of his names for people. I tend to do that, too, so it cracked me up. Aunt Lily was a gem!

The writing was pretty solid. There was only the occasional typo, omitted article, or punctuation mistake. The story was predictable, and there were entire conversations the characters had which told you exactly what was going to happen and in what order, but it was still extremely satisfying from beginning to end. Mona's romances ran the gamut from FWB to the HEA (though only she was surprised during the "surprise reveal"), but at no point did she seem stupid, or silly. Just oblivious, but that was her entire problem from the beginning, so I can see it continuing to get her up to her eyeballs in hijinks until she learned how to pay a bit more attention.

Pick this book up for a light, fun read while on vacation, or after the kids go to bed. It's definitely worth it.

And now I totally want to try a vodka martini.



View all my reviews