The Printed Fox: Review: The Wolf in the Neighborhood

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Review: The Wolf in the Neighborhood

The Wolf in the NeighborhoodThe Wolf in the Neighborhood by Phoenix Johnson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Phoenix Johnson's "The Wolf in the Neighborhood" was well-executed and charming. I loved her take on the wolf, Derek. It wasn't your typical "guy gets bit, guy grows fur, guy starts chasing the mailman and lifting his leg along the fence line" werewolf story. How Derek became the wolf was sad, but had a nice spin on it.

I also particularly loved Krissy and Derek's "love at first sight" and how they handled it. Both were comfortable with themselves, caught up in the thrill of their new relationship, but without all of the typical angst and romanticizing. As a couple and as individuals, they were still very realistic about the whole thing, which I appreciated. It ended on a bit of a cliffhanger with a new element introduced right on the last page (darn it all!) so I'll definitely be looking forward to the next installment.

The only complaint I had was during the big rescue scene, the character playing the hero did a little too much explaining with a little too much detail. In the heat of the moment in the eagerness to escape, I'm not sure everyone would be happy hanging around listening to a long, detailed story (even with as enjoyable as I found that particular character). That could have come in much shorter snippets without as much detail and I would've been just fine. However, it wasn't enough to lower my rating.

Definitely worth picking up!



View all my reviews

Go get your copy now over at NaughtyNightsPress.com!